Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Dorothea Lange Response

I chose this picture as a best Dorothea Lange response as I believe it is a good response to the Dorothea Lange photograph I was re creating. The figure is doing a similar pose as the model in Dorothea Lange's photograph. I was trying to capture the same story Lange portrayed of a little boy who is forced at a young age to work hard and help out in the farm, however, he has other aspirations and dreams outside of farm life. I did this shoot in a field as Dorothea Lange's photograph captures farm life in the background and asked the figure in my photograph to do the imitate the same pose as the model in Dorothea Lange's work and asked him to think of his dreams of what he wants to be of in the future however, he can't because he is forced to work in a farm. I believe I captured this using different angles and showing the background of a field, in addition, the figure is presenting the same emotion in Lange's photograph.





Furthermore, I transformed my response in black and white using Photoshop and additionally used curves to demonstrate contrast. This is a response to all four of the element, earth, water, fire and air as Dorothea Lange demonstrates in her body of work the effect it has on having too much or too little of any of these elements.

In this response, it shows the land background of a field (demonstrating earth) where many people in the depression era would work in, on a farm in very hot conditions (demonstrating fire through the effect of too much heat ) and lack water (demonstrating the effect of little water). In addition to this, the wind would not help in these conditions as they were very strong. (demonstrating effect of too much air)

No comments:

Post a Comment